Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Day I Went To The Happiest Place On Earth...

If you don't know which place I'm talking about, you need to re-evaluate your childhood. Disneyland. Straight up. 

We were unsure of what to expect while hopping on the RER to the outskirts of Paris on our journey to the land where my good friend Walt decided to make every child's dream come true. However, once our train pulled up and we saw the epic Mickey ears, we knew we were in for an adventure. Our first obstacle, how to get in? With our student visas on tow, Megan marched up to the ticket booth and worked some French Magic (no pun intended), and got us a student discount which allowed us to access BOTH Disneyland Parks. Upon walking through that entrance, it was impossible not to smile. I guess that's the magic that Disneyland surges through one's blood. A hop, skip, and a bathroom trip later, the ladies and myself were ready for some fun. While inhaling every edible item in sight (for me, a foot long cheese dog, fries, ice cream, and churros), we took in all Disneyland had to offer. While I am typically a party pooper (or "wussy bitch", if you choose to use that term) and I do not partake in any carnival rides, there was no deterring me from the Rocky Mountain Railroad Roller coaster. 

I clutched onto Megan for dear life as we whizzed up and down through the darkness of the majestic mountain. As I previously mentioned, my pathetic experience with roller coasters did not provide me with the adequate tools to produce an attractive picture when the roller coaster cameras do their thing. As such, upon viewing said photo from the ride, not only did I look horrible, but I looked like I was shitting myself from fear. Oh well, I guess I will need some more practice and another trip to Disney (yes please). 

The rest of the afternoon was a blur of fantasy. I reunited with my long lost friend, Goofy, and saw one of the shows the Disney characters perform. 


I felt like an awkward, buck-toothed 7 year old all over again. It was great. While the dare-devils of the group continued on to bigger and scarier rides, Courtney, Michele, and I headed towards more "wussy bitch"-friendly rides, like the Dumbo ride and the Teacups. And yes, I ate all that food prior to riding the Teacups. Not the best idea, if I do say so myself. 

After hitting nearly every sight in Disneyland, we headed across the way to the Universal Studios Park. Although not as magical, it was fun to walk around and see everything. The Wussy Bitches and myself did not partake in the Tower of Terror and rides as such. By the park closing at 6 pm, we headed over to dinner at Billy Bob's Saloon and inhaled even more food (ribs and potatoes, obvs). While finishing up dinner, tears welled in my eyes as I knew it was time to leave the magical land of Disney. We hopped back on the train and went back to where the people throw baguettes at us (Paris....)

BUT! Don't think this night was over just yet. REMEMBER, at midnight was Monster's birthdayy!!!! It was time to go big. It was time to go hard. We got our party clothes on and downed some bottles of wine (Monica more than others...).  We went over to visit our best friends at the crepe stand (although, in reality I think they don't like us) and we got Moni a free crepe and fries. Then, we got on the Metro and went to Cafe Oz where our Wisco/School friends were already raging. However, after about an hour and a half of dancing and drinking, I saw my little Monster's face get a bit green. I'll spare the details, but we headed out of there pretty quickly and went home to sleep. Now, I sit here on the actual day of Monica's birth as I watch that little princess nap. We are going to a big fondue dinner at a restaurant where they serve wine in baby bottles (France taxes you if you serve it in a glass, so they serve it in bottles!) Can't wait to dip some raw meat in oil (take it how you wish)

Happy Birthday Monster!


No comments:

Post a Comment